Monday, April 6, 2009

The Risks of Meeting at Home

Last week I met with a new estate planning client in our home. I usually do not invite clients to our home, but this particular person could be considered a close friend (and she wanted to see both girls), so I gladly bent the rules.

Kate sat with us for a few minutes and was as sweet as she could be. She cooed and smiled and did everything that a cute 4 month old should do for a guest. Her sister on the other hand was another story. Grace was experiencing (for no apparent reason, other than the fact that she was three) what her mother and I fondly call a nuclear meltdown. Typically, these are of the relatively harmless "Three Mile Island" variety. On this particular day, she earned a full-blown "Chernobyl" rating. While I was meeting with my client, she was in her room screaming. When I tried to get her to come out, she proceeded to scream "I no like your client, I no like anyone." I of course closed her door and left her in her room.

I was most surprised when Grace showed up in the hallway. She had opened her door and came to find me (and my client) to once again scream that she did not like my clients. The only plus side to her coming out of her room is that my client did get to see her (albeit a tear stained, angry variety of Grace). Before things got worse, the cavalry arrived (Michelle came home) and whisked Grace back to her room for a good talking to and a much needed nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment